Double Take: Rosemary Grilled Chicken Thighs, sortof

I've been holding out on you. Its probably not tough to tell that I love garlic. However, what most readers would have no idea about is that I feel rosemary is a close second.

While not as ubiquitously used in most recipes, rosemary offers a burst of flavor that sets off fireworks in my mouth! In addition to cooking and being a crazy busy graduate student, I'm also an avid gardener. I'm slowly converting more of the suburban backyard into assorted garden spots. Among my plants is my dear Miss Rosemary. Yes, that sounds strange but that is what I call her.

Rosemary likes water but doesn't tolerate harsh winters or extreme heat well. I thoughtfully planted her beneath some pine trees in the backyard to increase her daily shade time. I learned this past winter resulted in many people in the general area losing their rosemary bushes so I was glad mine not only survived but is flourishing. Rosemary stays green all year long and you pick the little green "leaves" for use in recipes. I rinse them and chop them finely, just as you would chop up any other herb. In addition to being tasty, rosemary has been touted to contain many antioxidants and has historically been believed to improve memory. From the gardening side, rosemary expands as a bush every year and is a very fragrant addition to an herb garden. I saw one persons' rosemary bush that was 6 feet WIDE! Crazy. I had no idea how big they could get. I'm going to start experimenting with mine to see if I can break off a section and get it to grow roots. If anyone has great experience with this, fill me in!

Today's recipe is brought to you by Miss Rosemary. Indeed it wouldn't have been possible without her. It was inspired by two people: 1) my friend Crystal who made an excellent rosemary chicken dish in undergrad 2) Pink Parsley, whose post made Mel interested in making the dish. I can't just follow a recipe so I'm thankful for the inspiration and excited to give you my version.

Garlic Rosemary Grilled Chicken



Garlic Rosemary Grilled Chicken Thighs (inspired by Pink Parsley's Rosemary Grilled Chicken Thighs)

Ingredients:

4 garlic cloves, minced (You know I doubled it from the original. This is the amount I used. Perfecto.)
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (I prefer Greek EVOO)
2 Tbsp spicy mustard
2 Tbsp honey (If you use local honey, it helps reduce the effects of allergens)
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp of fresh rosemary, minced (This takes about 1 1/2 , 1 foot long sections of rosemary stem.)
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (About 8 thighs)
1/2 lemon (or 1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice)

How To:


1. Combine all ingredients except chicken and lemon juice in a shallow dish or large ziploc bag. I would encourage you to choose glassware for marination b/c it will not absorb the essences and is easy to clean. I found all the chicken fit well in an 8x8 Pyrex dish.

2.  Add the chicken as a flat piece to the marinade. Roll it around in the marinade and then roll it back up with marinade inside. This allows it to take up less room but still saturates the chicken with the flavor of the marinade.

3.  Marinate chilled for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.

4.  Prepare grill. (Preheat 10 minutes and make sure to scrape off any residual bits from previous grilling if you haven't attended to it when you finished grilling last time.)

5.  Unroll the chicken thighs and grill them laying flat for 5-7 minutes per side. If using a meat thermometer, the goal temp is 165 internal).

6.  While grilling, wash up the dish you used for marinating. If you used a plastic bag, find a dish for the finished chicken.

7.  Place the finished chicken in your dish and either cover with aluminum foil or (if your Pyrex came with a handy lid) sit the lid over the dish cocksided (45 degrees off from being able to sit on and close). This way you can tent your chicken.

8.  Let the chicken rest 5-10 minutes. (I know its hard. It smells so good but it will be more moist if you wait.) Drizzle the lemon juice on top and serve.

Garlic Rosemary Grilled Chicken with Risotto Primavera

Reaction:


Its so good I'm not sharing it. Even though I am one person and that's a lot of chicken. I've been eating it all week for lunch and having it integrated with future supper options. I made a tasty vegetable risotto to go with it. (Look out for that in a future post.) However, this chicken is good on a biscuit for breakfast. Its also very tasty in a salad...using Watch out...lettuce and broccoli from my garden. (Not that I'm excited about being able to eat lunch straight from my garden or anything...C'mon cucumbers, grow. This salad needs you.) Seriously, this is a very tasty, low effort chicken recipe with great flavor. If you don't have a rosemary plant in the backyard, you can get fresh rosemary at the grocery near the vegetables. If you must sub dried, use half the amount listed above. Dried herbs are rather potent. I'd encourage you to find a spot to plant a rosemary bush though.

Enjoy!

Also be sure to see what Mel thought over at Fabulously Fun Food!

Comments

  1. This recipe was a complete winner! So much so that tonight I'm making it for the second time in less than a week!

    Did the lemon add anything?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment