Double Take: Foododelmundo's Perfect Pizza Crust

What makes a pizza perfect? I think everyone might have a slightly different answer. My grandma prefers thin crust. I prefer pan or thick crust. Some folks prefer it stuffed with cheese, others prefer herbs. Some prefer to have a yeasty flavor, some prefer less yeast flavor but all the effects of the yeast. Another important factor is how long you have to wait on the crust to be usable. Its not uncommon to not have a supper plan and have at least one hungry person waiting not so patiently on supper to be done. So whether you like it in a box or with a fox, I can't help. However, if you want a pan/thick crust style pizza made at home in around an hour and a half, I can help you.


Today's recipe comes from foododelmundo which is a blog assembled by a several adult siblings of a family. I think its a pretty awesome way for them to share their family's recipes with each other and all the rest of us too. Mary of foododelmundo.com happened to post this recipe. This pizza crust is not fancy. It is a good basic crust that can allow you to have a base point for adding herbs and cheese and whatnot. It doesn't have a strong yeasty taste. I must admit, I miss that. The lack of the yeasty taste most likely comes from the quick rise time. Alton Brown had an episode of Good Eats (The Dough also Rises) on Pizza dough and said that a slower rise time gave more yeast flavor. However, the first time I made this recipe the dough rose so quickly I put it in the fridge and it ceased to rise. Then it struggled to get to room temp and just didn't produce the desired puffiness. I retried  the recipe allowing it to rise at room temp and it came up beautifully and turned out beautifully. Perhaps if you want more flavor, it would be a good idea to add a heated liquid that added flavor to the crust that served as alternative to tap water. Its just an idea. Another idea is if you want to add herbs, go ahead and add them in the dough when you first mix it. If you forget, sprinkle the herbs on the crust before adding your toppings and voila, flavor!

Today's pizza is just simple ham and pineapple. I cut the recipe in half so I could make one 14" pizza. I used 2 slices of ham, 1/3 jar of pasta sauce, 1 c. of mozzarella, and 1/3 c. pineapple tidbits. I sprinkled fresh rosemary and minced garlic on the crust. Then topped the crust with pasta sauce followed by cheese. I spread the ham and pineapple across the top and baked the pizza for 20 minutes at 425 F.


Before baking


Done in 20 minutes.


Reaction: Fast. Thick. Inexpensive (Ingredients for one 14" pizza cost around $4.50. ) I wish the dough itself had a little more flavor but I would definitely say this is a good recipe. In the future I plan to add oregano, basil, rosemary and more garlic to the dough. Also I might try changing out part of the hot water for some other liquid and seeing how it changes the flavor. Hrmm root beer pizza anyone?

Looking for more weeknight pizza ideas? Check out Mel's post.

What makes your perfect pizza perfect?

Comments