Double Take: Savory Galette from Made with a Twist

Question:

What looks like a pizza and acts like a pizza but doesn't get prepared like, taste like, or happen to be a pizza? 

Answer: A savory galette.

Savory Herbed Tomato and Spinach Galette
Today's random recipe started out as a selection from Cake Duchess. However, on further inspection, the explanation for the crust got fairly confusing. Mel found that Made with a Twist was using the same recipe, same original book but had a clearer explanation of what to do with the crust. 

Since I'm prone to change recipes, there wasn't much chance of my maintaining the filling here. I did use the recipe stated on Made with a Twist to prepare my dough, with only one exception. I didn't have plain cornmeal. Every southern girl keeps self rising cornmeal! (Well, probably not every one but this one sure does.) I didn't add any extra flour, but I wanted to do that quite badly. The dough tasted great. There was a hint of the cornmeal with a texture somewhere between pizza dough and pie crust but without the yeast from the pizza dough and without the stiffness of pie dough. I liked it. I do think it would've been easier to manipulate with another 1/3 c. of flour. I would encourage adding a little flour in the future, just to make it less of a gooey mixture. 

On to the filling, I liked the idea of tomatoes and cheese but I wanted to amp it up a bit. I'm in the process of trying to cook things to clear out freezer space and I happen to really like spinach. As a result, I added spinach and a few spices to jazz this to my palate. 

I'd encourage anyone else to change the filling to suit their tastes. I liked this version but to each her own! 

Tab's Filling for Savory Galette

1 medium tomato sliced into rounds
8 oz spinach, coarsely chopped
1/2 c. onion, chopped
1 c. mozzarella
1 Tbsp parmesan
1/2 Tbsp rosemary (fresh is best)
1/2 Tbsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp coarse salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, ( I prefer Greek)
salt and pepper to taste

How To:

In a saucepan or frying pan, heat the olive oil.

When the olive oil is hot, add spinach, onions, salt and pepper to taste, garlic, and garlic powder. 

Cook until the spinach is dry and the onions are lightly browned. 

Sprinkle rosemary and basil on the bottom of the galette. (Leave a 2 -3 inch border.) 

Add 1/4 c. Parmesan in the center of your galette. 

Top the cheese with the spinach mixture. 

Add the rest of the Parmesan. Layer the tomatoes on top and sprinkle with oregano, parsley and coarse salt. 

Roll up the sides of the galette, adding folds as you wrap up the sides. 

The dough was pretty sticky! 

Bake at 375 F for 30 min or until the pastry is golden brown and the cheese is melted. 

Enjoy!


It looked great when done though!


Let me taste it for you...Its a flavor party with each taste exposing  rosemary, basil, oregano...mmmm!
Reaction:

Everyone at work thought it was a pizza that smelled really delicious. I thought it was good straight out of the oven and good reheated in a toaster oven. I would definitely about 1/3 c. more flour to the dough mixture in the future to make it easier to manipulate. I really enjoyed the distribution of herbs that gave each taste something a little bit different. Thanks to Made with Twist and Cake Duchess for making this appetizing enough to try ourselves!

Hop over to Mel's blog to see what she thought!
 

Comments

  1. Your filling looks amazing. I'm totally going with this filling if I make it again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment