Double Take: Roasted Vegetable Quesadillas

Before you say, WHHHHAAAT? I know most of America is busy stuffing themselves to points beyond consciousness but that's part of what makes this post so useful. Seriously. What are you going to do with all those random leftover vegetable trays from appetizers. You know what I'm talking about. The ones with the squash that just stare at you. You could snack on them but you probably will just stick them in the fridge and eat some more pie. What about a way to dress up those random asparagus? How about the onions that you let you let someone else cut up (so you wouldn't cry while you prepped other parts of the meal) and they cut way too many? Presenting ....leftover quesadillas!

Roasted Vegetable Quesadillas with a Potato Cake (Latke). Talk about your cultural melding.

Sure, I'm going to list this with veggies but you could certainly place some extra turkey in here. In addition, the random roasted vegetable medley that Aunt Ruth made could be used in here too. If you want, you're also welcome to get some fresh veggies.

(I felt way too confined by the actual southern living recipe. The main similarity here is that I roasted veggies and put them in quesadillas.)

Tab's Roasted Veggie Quesadillas


10 stalks of asparagus, broken into 1" sections
1 small squash, chopped
1 small zucchini, chopped

1 medium onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil (I used Greek extra virgin olive oil. Use what you like best.)

3/4 c. cheddar, shredded
3/4 c. pepperjack cheese, shredded
5 (8 inch) flour tortillas
your favorite salsa (I used Peach Mango....mmmm)

Preheat your oven to 475 F.
Chop up your asparagus, squash, zucchini, onion and garlic. Place them on walled cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 475 F for 10-15 minutes.

Now is a good time to shred your cheese. If you have a smoke detector, I'd turn it off before opening the oven. Roasted veggies tend to generate a fair bit of smoke.

When the veggies are done, spoon them onto tortillas.


Sprinkle evenly with cheese and fold the tortillas in half.


Place a nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add the quesadillas, 2 at a time, to the skillet. Cook 2 - 3 minutes on each side until the outsides are toasted to your preference. A light brown makes me happy. Cut the tortillas into wedges. Spoon on some salsa or dip in salsa. Enjoy!


(Note: These reheat well and make a good light lunch.)

My thoughts: I liked them. I learned I preferred the zucchini to the yellow squash. Also, its very important to make sure to cook the asparagus long enough or it will be woody. I would definitely make these again. I'd probably even spice them up with some rosemary while they roasted. They'd be great with potatoes and sweet potatoes too!

Take your turkey legs over to Mel's blog to see her version!

Comments

  1. great idea for leftovers happy thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely have to try asparagus in a tortilla once I can get my hands on the green ones again! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment