Double Take: Fresh Peach Pie

To look at the last two weeks, you might think...these ladies have a sweet tooth. While that may be true, the real reason for thw past two choices had more to do with taking advantage of fruit while it was available. Fresh peaches are at their peak this time of year. At the farmer's market, I looked over all the options and learned it would be two more weeks before the coveted free stone peaches were available. Determined to sell me peaches, the farmer described the yellow and white one he had. I'm typically a yellow peach girl. They're usually more flavorful and juicy. When offered the chance to try what they had, I was shocked that I preferred the white semi freestone peaches they had. Sadly, I can't remember the name to share but they were awesome. In fact, I found them so tasty, I combined a bit with the yellow peaches I got at a different farmer's market to enhance the flavor of the peach in the pie. It works with apples and I was worried the peaches I'd chopped (with Rebecca's help) might have been a little shy of what the pie needed. Peaches ready, it was time to start the crust. I have a couple of standby crusts that I always turn to for pies. They work everytime and I love that. However, since Mel and I are testing recipes in the USL cookbook, it seemed suiting to try their double crust pastry.

Preparation:

Double Crust Pastry (modified from All New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook)

2 c. all purpose flour

1 tsp. salt

2/3 c. plus 2 Tbsp chilled shortening

2-3 Tbsp of ice water

Combine flour and salt; cut in shortening with a fork or pastry blender until mixture has a crumbly, pea-like texture. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of ice water at a time over the surface and stir with a fork until all ingredients are moistened. Shape into a ball. (Chill for an hour to make easier to work.) OR generously dust your counter with 1/8 - 1/4 c. flour. Break your ball of dough in half. If you didn't chilll, (and even if you did and want life to be easier), place a silicone mat or piece of plastic wrap on your counter prior to dusting and rolling out the pastry. Roll out half the dough, lift the mat or plastic wrap and invert onto your pie plate.Pinch up the borders of your pie into V's or use a different shape if you like. Roll out the other half of the dough (again onto a mat), you either make a flat top, or cut strips of dough and place over your pie filling prior to baking. I like to lay the longest strips in first, bend them back, and then lay in the strips going the opposite direction. I weave the strips through to make a lattice. This description is less than awesome. Unfortunately, I didn't take step by step pictures to show you so I'll try to do that the next time I make a lattice crust.

Fresh Peach Pie Filling

5 1/2 c. peeled, sliced fresh peaches

1 c. sugar

1/4 c. all-purpose flour

3 Tbsp butter

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon ( I used cardamom instead.)

Combine peaches, sugar, flour, and cinnamon or cardamom. Stir to form a syrup. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook 10 minutes until peaches are tender. Remove from heat; add butter and vanilla and blend well.

Assembly:


Lattice is on, starting the edges



Edges assembled. Time to bake!

Place the bottom crust onto the pie plate. Pour the filling into the shell. Create the lattice using 1/4 to 1/2" strips of dough (as somewhat described above ...but hey its more of a description than from USL). Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 F and bake 25-30 minutes or until crust is browned. Serve warm or cool.



Ready to serve!

Review:

I think everyone loved this pie but me. I confirmed that I'm really picky about cooked peaches. Basically, I like my peaches fresh. All the peach pie lovers really liked it. My taste testers were the crowd at the church picnic, my parents who came in for a weekend visit, and Rebecca and Mike. Everyone really liked it a lot. Concerning the crust, it had a good flavor but was rather fussy. I prefer my standby crusts but it was fine to try something new. I made a second pie the same day b/c I was concerned about my reaction to a peach pie. Look forward to an upcoming post of butterscotch pie!

Be sure to get Mel's two bits on this one over at Fabulously Fun Food...and tell me...what's your favorite pie?

Comments

  1. My favorite pie? Well, that's easy... chocolate pie. Or is it lemon meringue? Or key lime? Perhaps I should just say that I like custard based pies!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment