Caramel Apple Crisp
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup water
Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Option (can double this part)
6 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup flour
1/2 brown sugar
6 Tbsp butter
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
6 cups sliced and cored apples (around 8 large apples, 10 medium apples or probably 14 small cooking apples)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Prepare fruit: Core and slice apples. Place in cool water to prevent them from turning brown.
2. Prepare caramel sauce: In a small sauce pot, melt butter for caramel sauce. Stir in flour listed for caramel sauce to make a paste. Add the two sugars and water listed for caramel sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. When the sauce comes to a boil, reduce the temperature to low and simmer 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. The longer you boil, the more caramel flavor you will have but your sauce will be reduced. If you boil too long, you will burn the sauce.
3. Prepare crisp topping: While the caramel sauce is boiling, use a pastry cutter or fork to combine the flour, brown sugar, oatmeal, butter, baking powder and salt listed for crisp topping. I suggest cutting up the butter first and then adding the other components because it makes the butter a little easier to work into the mixture.
4. Brown Sugar/Cinnamon (optional) : Combine together brown sugar and cinnamon.
5. Combination: Place apples in 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with lemon juice. If adding brown sugar/cinnamon, sprinkle on apples and stir around. Pour caramel sauce over apples. Sprinkle crisp topping over the apples.
6. Bake at 350 F for 35-45 minutes.
This is quite enjoyable with vanilla ice cream. If you want to drizzle caramel sauce from the bottom of the pan, it is likely to increase the smile and happiness factors.