Sweet Potato Fries and Aioli Demise

I started out determined to make both sweet potato fries and garlic aioli. The first attempt on the fries was seamless. They came out beautifully and were very tasty. They were so tasty that they disappeared before I got to take a picture. Sadly, the aioli split. After over heating the immersion blender and attempting mixing it with a food processor, I placed it in the fridge and ate fries with garlic flavored mayonnaise. Normally anti-mayonnaise, I was pleased with the taste of garlic in the mayonnaise as a dipping sauce for the fries. Attempt 1.5 on aioli was a rescue mission. I tried to recover the split aioli according to some statements made by others online. This was to no avail. I decided to start over from scratch for attempt 2. I used a hand mixer with a wire whisk attachment. This also failed. I moved the aioli to the food processor. This did not help either. Again, the aioli was placed in the fridge for a future date of rematch. In this process of battling aioli, I wound up making 3 rounds of sweet potato fries that were devoured. I even have a pending request for another batch. I'm glad at least one part worked and determined not to let the aioli win! When I defeat it, I'll post what worked for me.

The good news is, sweet potato fries do not require garlic aioli and they are pretty easy to make!

Fries after first frying

Sweet Potato Fries

2 large sweet potatoes
1/4-1/3 c. brown sugar
1/8 c. salt
4 cups water
oil for frying (I used vegetable oil)
(a little extra salt and brown sugar for sprinkling over finished fries)


Cut the sweet potato fries into 1/4 x 1/4 x 3-4" (or however long you like fries) segments. Mix 1/4 to 1/3 c. brown sugar and 1/8 c. salt in 4 cups of water in a mixing bowl. Stir until sugar and salt have dissolved. Add fries and wait one hour. Heat oil for frying. Place fries in the oil for 6 minutes. Remove and allow to rest 2-6 minutes. (If desired throw more fries in for 6 minutes. If all fries fit in your container, you only wait a couple of minutes.) Place rested fries back in the hot oil for 2 minutes. Remove to a plate and sprinkle lightly with salt and as desired with brown sugar. I recommend very little salt and maybe used 1/8 c. brown sugar for sprinkling.
Devour them before the others at the table get them first! Note: Frying them twice gives them a crispy texture. I didn't think it would matter and I tried some from the first round. They were ok but really not the right texture.

Finished Product






Comments

  1. From a non sweet potato eater, those look yummy! For some reason they lose their orangeness when fried, so I like them that way (orange as in taste, not color... it's the same reason I don't care for cooked carrots... they have this off flavor, yuck)

    Good luck with the aioli

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment